Twitter @ImNabeelah

Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Heart of France

Cities at night, I feel, contain men who cry in their sleep and then say Nothing.
It’s nothing. Just sad dreams. Or something like that…Swing low in your weep ship,
with your tear scans and sob probes, and you would mark them.
Women—and they can be wives, lovers, gaunt muses, fat nurses, obsessions,
devourers, exes, nemeses—will wake and turn to these men and ask, “What is it?”
And the men will say, “Nothing. No it isn’t anything really. Just sad dreams.”

The Information by Martin Amis

***

I went for the family event thing this afternoon like I was told to.

I was right,most of my relatives were there. Some I knew,some I didn't
and most I'd forgotten their names.
But this time,it was quite different. While I was there,
I spotted a little statue of the Eiffel Tower and a very pretty and big picture of Paris city
hanging on the wall with only the the Eiffel Tower in colour,
as though it was lit with bright yellow lights,while the rest of the city was in black and white.
It turns out that my Aunt had gone to Paris for work matters. I didn't know that.
So instead of watching the adults talking amongst themselves,
I admired the picture while remembering the times
I'd been there and thought Paris city had never been so beautiful,
and was as though the picture was smiling the brightest of smiles which made it
much more beautiful then it already was.

But there was this feeling of sadness inside my heart that was very much hard to explain.

It was a little sad for me. Paris had to be so beautiful but so faraway at the same time.

5 comments:

  1. Once more, you capture my feelings exactly, Nabilah. I love Paris, it is the most beautiful city in the world. Whenever I think of it, there is a sense of happiness, but also of melancholy as I am not there. I see you feel this way too, but at least your fond memories were able to make your family gathering a little better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you left a piece of your heart in Paris...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello dear!

    Such a beautiful post....and I love Paris too, but it's been way too long since i've been there.
    Very lovely blog you have here!
    And thanks for your nice comment on my blog.

    Love,

    Mila.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're giving my a powerful does of nostalgia through your writing, it's beautiful. I would love to go to Paris someday, I have tons of relatives there.

    xx Blaize.

    ReplyDelete

Hello Dearest Friend,
You're so wonderful.
Thank You so much for leaving me a comment.
<3